Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Travel Tuesday - Diagon Alley

One of the reasons I went to visit Mom this summer, beyond just hanging out with Mom and her husband, Ed, was to go to the new Harry Potter attraction at Universal Studios.  Two years ago, when I came down with Allison, we had an excellent time at Universal.  We did wait in line for 3 hours for the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey..which was the best ride I've ever gone on...

So yesterday, Wednesday, July 9, we headed to Universal.  It had only been open since the day before...


We got there about 10:00..there was already a 90 minute line just to get into that part of the park...First you get in line (queue up) to get into Diagon Alley.  But the park was giving out tickets to come back later...So I got a ticket to come back at 12:20...I met up with Mom, (who was not going into that part of the park) and had lunch at Mel's Diner (from Alice)

Then we headed over to the ET ride...very tame, but enjoyable...ET was really my second nerdery...Wizard of Oz being first...I collected the cards and had posters up..I saw it three times the first weekend it was out...I love ET....

A little shopping, and then I headed back to Diagon Alley...and got right in....lots of pictures coming up...it was fabulous!  First you are in "London" and you walk through a brick wall (just like the movie) to get to Diagon Alley...







You might recognize Grimmauld Place and the Night Bus





I got in line for the ride, Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts..it was an expected 300 minute wait...but first you had to get in line to put your stuff in a locker..no loose things allowed on the ride...that was almost an hour wait...when I finally got into line....the ride broke down.....on Opening Day, I heard from several people..after waiting in line for 5 hours, the ride broke down and they shut it down..so I waited a little over an hour and the ride was still not fixed...so it would have been the 5 hour wait ON TOP of the delay time for the break down...and since I am still not 100%, I decided I'd rather enjoy the rest of Diagon Alley...I can always come back.....so I went and enjoyed Diagon Alley...

The dragon breathes fire!!!!!




The owlery and some costumes from the movies...



The front and back of Weasleys Wizard Wheezes...you actually went in through the back...


Knockturn Alley was sufficiently creepy...and there was a Borgin and Burkes had some fun stuff in it.




Magic Knitting, this was a display window between Ollivander's Wand Shop and The Daily Prophet.


Then Mom and I enjoyed some cheesecake and called it a day...I was starting to hurt...and knew I would not be able to stand in lines....I'll come back in a few months, hopefully physically at 100%..and Mom is always here to visit.

Diagon Alley is very cool....and I will enjoy it again..and hopefully get on the ride then...There is another ride, The Hogwarts Express, but you have to have a park-to-park pass, as it takes you to the other park...this I will probably do next time....

Don't forget I have a small giveaway in yesterday's post.

10 comments:

Camille @ Challenge Mantra said...

A 300 minute wait? You are a trooper :)

I haven't gone to see any of the Harry Potter attractions at Universal yet but hope to at some point.

Food, Booze, & Baggage said...

I would really love to see the Harry Potter world but not sure I would be up for the wait. I feel like they need to host an all adult day :)

Renee Anne said...

Someday, I hope to make it back to Universal for the Harry Potter portion. Someday...we've got no real reason to visit Florida, even though I do have family in that area (short version: they like to pretend I don't exist).

wolfen said...

300 minute wait!? Dear heaven! I don't think I could even do the walking around part in general much less the standing around in lines. Thank you for sharing your pictures though :)

Unknown said...

This is awesome! I would love to go. Anything Harry Potter themed has my attention. I have actually been to a couple of the streets in London that apparently inspired J.K to write about Diagon Alley..

Unknown said...

Sounds like so much fun! I haven't been to Universal in years but perhaps it's time to make a trip.

Mrs C said...

I was there a few years back and had the best of time.. lots of queuing but it was all worth it!

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Diagon Alley just opened last week, so you may have been at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which is in the other Universal park. I went to that one two years ago..

Paula (aka Paulapc) said...

Thak You for sharing so many amazing pictures.
The Harry Potter tour is on my bucket list - now I feel just a little bit closer to having been there : )

Sam I Am...... said...

Your patience is commendable and thank you for sharing the pictures as I will probably never get to experience it....so cool! I can only imagine!
Love the magic kitting display...I feel an "inspiration" coming on from that one!