Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hanging in Corpus Christi




My dad is a reader....well he didn't have any books with him. We devised a way to communicate. We wrote out the alphabet and he pointed to the letters. He was able to write a little too. I asked him if he'd like a book and he said he'd like "Angels and Demons". So Aunt Kathy, Tracy and I set off to find the book for him. Well we stumbled on this great used/overstock bookstore that had a small coffeeshop attached...we loved it! We ended up going back twice more before we left town. Although we did not find Angels and Demons there, I eventually bought 5 books there :)
There was a Barnes and Noble in the same area, so we found the book for him there. It was an illustrated copy and looked very nice. I started to read it to him the next morning. He was about a third of the way through when he was released from the hospital. So if you are a reader and you ever get to Corpus Christi this is the place to check out...Cafe Calypso and Half Priced Books. They are on South Padre Island Street (which pretty much everything is on)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to read about your dad, Gracey. I'm glad he's able to communicate with you through the alphabet list, and that he can still read.
I am a teacher, too; 6th grade right now and I used to teach 4th. When you are home and able to visit blogs I hope we can get to know each other better.
I've added you to the NE Bloggers list; welcome!

Unknown said...

Hi, Gracey!
Just saw that I don't have an email for you. If you'd like to be in my NE Bloggers address book, drop me a note. e_bogardus AT hotmail DOT com
Sometimes I send out mailings to everyone for an online "party" or carnival of some sort.